Our daily lifestyle is increasingly becoming worstwith unhealthy eating habits and irregular also poor sleeping patterns, it is affecting our body, both physically and mentally. In India, according to studies India is the home to the second-largest diabetes patients in the world, which is adverse.
There are two types of diabetes-
Type-1 diabetes- It occurs when the pancreas does not produce sufficient insulin. It requires insulin in the form of injections or insulin pumps
Type-2 diabetes- It is a medical condition when our body fails to use insulin effectively. The treatment of Type-2 diabetes is possible by using drugs thatshoots up the efficiency of insulin absorption.
Following a proper diet and exercise routine can guide in managing the blood sugar levels in the case of Type-2 diabetes. Exercisign just provides a helping hand in preventing complications, it can be quite danger or risky for people who’re not active physically or are old. In that scenario cases, yoga can be an effective way to build body strength, maintain fitness, and improvise the physical and mental wellness of their bodies.
Yoga comes out as an excellent selection for staying healthy with diabetes. Yoga is the most effective way of training to build your body muscles that guides in better regulation of blood sugar levels in the body.It also results in the efficient utilization of insulin by changing glucose into energy.
Some of the benefits of Yoga for diabetic patients are:
- Decreases stress levels
- Shoots up strength and flexibility
- Prevents heart diseases
- Improvise the emotional health
- Relaxing your mind and reducing stress hormones
Some of the recommended asanas for diabetic patients are enlisted below:
1. Mountain Pose or Tadasana
This best yoga for beginners pose helps improves your posture and reduces flat feet. Apart from strengthening your thighs, knees, and ankles, this pose also provides relief from backaches.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart on the floor and your arms at the sides.Tuck your tailbone to engage the abdominal and hamstring muscles.Breathe in and extend your arms upward on the sides with your palms facing up.Exhale and bring your arms back down slowly.
2. Child’s Pose or Balasana
This relaxing pose guides in the production of beta cells that produce insulin. Child’s pose is a perfect resting pose to practice between more challenging poses.
- Sit on your feet with your knees apart.Lower down your head slowly to the mat, and rest your belly on top of your thighs.Stretch your arms forward with your palms facing down as you touch the mat in front of your head. Hold this pose for 10 to 20 seconds, and relax the tailbone towards your heels to stretch your lower back.
3. Bridge Pose or Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
This pose improves blood circulation by stretching your chest, spine, neck, and hips. It calms nervous system and brain to alleviate depression and stress.
- Lie on your back with knees bent, keep feet flat on the floor and maintain a distance of hip-width to keep your legs apart.Press your heels down into the mat. Lift the tailbone to keep your hips and lower back above the floor.Lace the fingers of both the hands together under the hipsUse your abdomen and hamstrings to hold the bottom and back up. Now, Release your fingers and slowly lower tailbone back down.
4. Plank Pose or Phalakasana
Strengthening your wrists, arms, shoulders, and spine, the Plank Pose improves your posture and tones all the core muscles.
- Get on the floor on your hands and knees with your toes tucked.Lift-off your knees from the yoga mat and stretch your feet towards the end.In this position, your body must form a straight line, and your shoulders must stack vertically over the wrists, similar to a push up position.Hold the pose by engaging the abdominal muscles for around a minute until you are comfortable. Relax down slowly.
5. Corpse Pose or Shavasana
This pose helps in relaxing the mind and improves concentration. Usually performed at the end of yoga practice, this pose induces sleep and relieves headaches and fatigue.
- Lie flat on your back with your arms resting at the sides and palms facing up.Relax your body, inhale through your nose, and exhale through your mouth.Starting with gentle breathing, proceed for deep inhaling and exhaling.This pose produces the best results when you warm up for about 5 minutes and end with a 10-minute relaxation.
6. Seated Forward Bend Pose or Paschimottanasana
The seated forward bending pose promotes weight loss and helps in relieving fatigue, headache, and anxiety.
- Sit down on the mat, then extend your legs.Draw your toes back towards your shins.Sit straight on your sit bones and lengthen your spine.Hinging at your hips, bend forward to touch your feet with your hands.Fold your torso in between your legs with your chin tucking into your chest. Maintain the pose for up to 3 minutes until you are comfortable.
Not only this, Yoga helps in various ways enlisted below:
• Great flexibility and balance of body
• Accurate BMI
• Less bad weight gain
• Shoot down in neck and back pain
• Excellent for people with asthma symptoms
• Cures or reduces blood pressure
• Cures or reduces blood sugars
• Improved lipid (blood fat) profiles
• Cures or reduces cancer-related fatigue
•Confidence and fresh look with a better body image
• Sharper focus and concentration + general health awareness in 2021
After knowing such enumerous benefits and ways to cure diabetes, are you still thinking to opt Yoga or not, then you’re totally doing wrong to yourself. YOGA IS THE BEST WAY TO CURE DIABETES, LET IT SINK IN!!
All the diabetic patients must give themselves a checklist that they’re suffering from a disease that will recover soon without any problems.
Yoga is an exercise that the yoga asanas mentioned above rarely harm your body, you must talk and be in consultation of a professional yoga instructor and your doctor before you start practicing them. Looking on your health conditions, they would suggest you the best yoga poses. It’s good to start with beginner’s yoga and pull back if you feel pain or discomfort in yoour body .
Stay strong at every stage of life. It is important for you take good care of yourself and especially YOUR HEALTH. Whatsoever stress you have spare some time out and relax with the help of Yoga and meditation.
Is yoga safe for diabetic patients?
Yoga is a safe practice for everyone. If you are a beginner, keep in mind to start slow. It will take time, but once you are a pro. It will feel great. Diabetic patients should take advice from their doctors before they start any form of exercise.
Is it possible to lower diabetes quickly?
Lowering the levels of diabetes from your body is not an easy task. It depends on body to body as to what methods you can utilize and your hard-work to reduce intake of sugar in your body. Though, yoga is one of the best and quickest way to reduce harmful effects of diabetes from your body.
What can you do to keep diabetes in control?
The foods that consists of trans fats or the processed foods are most dangerous for your body as they contain maximum amount of sugars. If the level of junk food or sugar food increases in a wrong manner, it can cause major diseases like stroke, heart attack, high level cholesterol,etc.