- Strengthens muscles of ankles, hips, thighs, shoulders, triceps, inner armpits and chest
- Stimulates kidneys, Helps in high blood-pressure
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Start the pose from all fours and cross your legs bringing your left knee to the inside of your right knee. Lower your hips in between your feet.
- Use a folded blanket or bolster to lift the sitting bones off the floor and support them evenly.
How to do
- Sit on the yoga mat with your back straight and legs extended in front of you. Put your feet together and place your palms next to your hips.
- Bend your right leg and place the right feet under your left buttock.
- Stack your left knee over your right knee.
- Raise the left arm above your head and bend the elbow. Simultaneously, bring the right arm behind your back and interlock both hands.
- Take deep breaths and stay as long as you are comfortable.
- Now, as you exhale, release your arms.
- Uncross your legs and repeat other side.
- Shoulder pain or injury: If you are experiencing excessive shoulder pain, refrain from doing Gomukhasana.
- If during this asana you have any kind of leg cramps or you have pain in your knees, then you should immediately leave that posture, do not forcefully try to do this asana.
- Stimulate the heart, kidneys, liver, spleen, and lungs.
- It helps to reduce belly fat, strengthens kidney,
- It helps to prevent and control diabetes.
- It strengthens back muscles and reduces back ache
- Releases excess toxins and heat from tissues and organs
How to do
- Sit with legs stretched, bend the right leg and pull it by your side till it rests beside your left knee.
- Place your right hand behind your back and left arm over the right knee, hold your right ankle.
- Push your right knee as far as possible and while exhaling twist your trunk to the right side. Take as much as support from your left arm.
- Now repeat the same steps with the left side.
- In the beginning, do not try to use excessive force while doing these asanas. Increase your practice gradually.
- It should be practicing on an empty stomach in the morning.
- If during this asana you have any kind of leg cramps or you have pain in your knees, then you should immediately leave that posture, do not forcefully try to do